Published: 06/2/2019 June second, 2019
Sydney is among the finest metropolitan areas on the planet. It’s amazing beaches, scenic shores, World Heritage sites, and top-notch dining. It’s a sizable city, and it is very disseminate.
What are the very best neighborhoods in which to stay?
That will depend on what you long for inside a destination!
Each section of Sydney features its own vibe and highlights. Listed here are my ideas on the best place to remain in the town. Whichever of those you select, you cannot fail!
Table of Contents
- Best neighborhood for views: The Rocks
- Best neighborhood for local existence: Surry Hillsides
- Best neighborhood for any local beach: Coogee
- Best neighborhood for touristy stuff: Darling Harbour
- Best neighborhood for beach fun: Bondi Beach
- Best neighborhood to be central: CBD
- Best neighborhood for shopping: Paddington
- Best non-central neighborhood: Macho
- Best neighborhood for nightlife: Nobleman Mix
Best Neighborhood #1: The Rocks
Just north of Sydney’s Central Business District as well as on the harbor, this neighborhood offers great views across the waterfront. There are many historic structures in the region, including several pubs.
The Rocks Markets is open each weekend, selling all sorts of treasures, including crafts and arts, jewellery and attractive treats. The region has a lot of stellar restaurants, museums, and entertainment venues, which will help explain its recognition with vacationers.
Should you remain in The Rocks, make certain you dine across the waterfront!
The best places to Remain in The Rocks
- BUDGET: Sydney Harbour YHA – This hostel is within an excellent location, offering views from the harbour and also the Opera House. The hostel is made within the old colonial part of the city, but has all of the modern comforts of the good hostel. This isn’t a real party hostel, though, but instead an excellent place for travelers searching for any quiet stay. It’s ideal for families too!
- MID-RANGE: Mercantile Hotel – Offering live music, free Wi-Fi, and all sorts of standard ammentities you’d expect from the mid-range hotel. The Mercantile is situated right close to the Opera House, the Rocks Markets, and also the Harbour Bridge. Most importantly off, it’s also the place to find Australia’s longest-running Irish pub!
- LUXURY: Four Seasons Sydney – Offering incredbible views from the harbour and also the city — in addition to incredible luxury — a great option for anybody searching to go to Sydney in fashion. Having a condition from the art health club and wellness center and health spa, you’ll be capable of getting pampered when you enjoy everything Sydney provides.
Best Neighborhood #2: Surry Hillsides
Southeast from the Central Business District, Surry Hillsides has typically been referred to as best spot in Sydney for fashion. The region is ideal for travelers who wish to shop ‘til they drop, nevertheless its appeal is a lot broader than that. There are numerous unique, creative dining options, and lots of old warehouses happen to be changed into classy galleries and beautiful homes.
The region is ideal for youthful travelers, foodies, and individuals attempting to experience Regent Street, the longtime Gay Capital of Sydney.
The best places to Remain in Surry Hillsides
- BUDGET: Big Hostel – This hostel offers free breakfast, free Wi-Fi, free luggage storage, and late checkout — everything your budget traveler needs! They likewise have a complete-outfitted kitchen and promote eco-friendly practices (there is a service for donating old clothings and promote energy conservation and recycling).
- MID-RANGE: Manor Boutique Hotel – This charming boutique hotel is situated in a heritage building with antique furnishings. It’s easily located just a few minutes from Regent street in which you’ll find lots of bars and restaurants. Free breakfast is incorporated too!
- LUXURY: Little Albion – This luxury hotel is really situated in a heritage building which was when a former convent. It’s right near Central Station and just a brief drive from Chinatown and Paddy’s Market. Your accommodation also offers a rooftop terrace, lounge, free Wireless, along with a complimentary breakfast every morning.
Best Neighborhood #3: Coogee
This little area using the funny name is ideal for travelers who would like a seaside vibe although not all of the craziness of Bondi Beach. The region is super scenic and also the sea is calm and safe for swimming. This neighborhood is definitely an eastern suburb of Sydney, but you will get to town on riding on the bus in under 30 minutes.
Coogee includes a youthful and family-friendly feel. Sydney’s eastern East suburbs, youthful, warm and friendly. In case your trip calls for several beach time, a great option. There’s super snorkeling nearby at Gordons Bay, and make certain to look into the Wylie Baths — amazing rock pools ideal for swimming. A seaside town is renowned for its fish and chips, so make sure to try them too!
The best places to Remain in Coogee
- BUDGET: Mad Monkey Coogee Beach – A great budget hostel located directly on the shore. There is a awesome co-working space and there are many bars and restaurants around too. It’s not fancy at all, however it will get the task done! Just bear in mind that it may obtain a little noisy, so don’t stay here should you’re searching for many tranquility!
- MID-RANGE: Coogee Bay Hotel (Boutique) – This lovely boutique hotel is within an excellent location, located only twenty minutes from downtown and twenty minutes in the airport terminal. It’s right near the sea, too, and there’s a cafe or restaurant and beer garden on-site.
- LUXURY: Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach – This incredible hotel boasts breathtaking views from the sea, a heated pool, 2 bars, tennis courts, along with a fully-outfitted health club. It’s a spacious hotel with ultra-modern rooms, and there’s no shortage of effective sea food restaurants nearby too.
Best Neighborhood #4: Darling Harbour
El born area of town is the best for families. This lively neighborhood is a big tourist draw, because there are a lot of attractions across the waterfront. The Sydney Aquarium and IMAX are here, and there’s all sorts of dining. The area’s clubs come to life during the night and there’s plenty of shopping. In addition, there’s a Madame Tussauds, in the event that informs you anything.
If you are travelling with kids, think about this neighborhood. Otherwise, I most likely wouldn’t remain in this Disney-like atmosphere.
The best places to Remain in Darling Harbour
- BUDGET: Siesta Sydney – This budget-friendly hostel is clean, situated in an excellent location, and it has really friendly staff. They’ve free towels, free Wi-Fi, a completely-outfitted kitchen, and laundry facilities.
- MID-RANGE: Glasgow Arms Hotel – This charming hotel is situated over a beautiful old pub. Free breakfast is offered all day long lengthy and also the hotel is simply a 5-minute walk from Darling Harbour.
- LUXURY: The Darling in the Star– This can be a massive, luxuorious hotel the place to find a health spa, casino, and also over 20 bars and restaurants. Pamper yourself within their Turkish bath or have a go swimming within their scented outside pool — which features its own bar!
Best Neighborhood #5: Bondi Beach
Bondi Beach is renowned. Once you discover the legendary beach, you’ll realise why: The astonishing views from the Off-shore, the sea food restaurants along Campbell Parade, the happening nightlife! A great spot for backpackers and individuals searching to party.
But it is also a great base for beach couples, too. Bondi isn’t right in the middle of the town, but riding on the bus is simple. El born area attracts a more youthful crowd, and you’re certain to see surfers within the water, sun worshippers around the sand, and adventurous sorts hiking the scenic seaside trails.
The best places to Remain in Bondi Beach
- BUDGET: Bondi Backpackers – If you value the shore, you cannot beat this area! There is a great rooftop space overlooking Bondi Beach and also the hostel offers free surfboards. There’s also free yoga classes, walking tours, along with other fitness activities. If you are there Friday night, don’t miss the BBQ party around the rooftop!
- MID-RANGE: Ultimate Apartments (Bondi Beach) – Located only a 7-minute walk in the beach, Ultimate Apartments offers studio apartments with free parking. They’ve kitchenettes so that you can prepare some of your food, plus an outside pool onsite. The rooms are spacious and also the beds are snug!
- LUXURY: Hotel Bondi – With views overlooking the shore, this boutique-style hotel has both private and shared balconies, plus some deluze rooms with kitchen facilities if you wish to prepare your personal meals. There’s a cafe or restaurant onsite, the showers are wonderful, and also the employees are incredibly useful.
Best Neighborhood #6: Central Business District
Sydney’s CBD may be the heart from it all. It’s an enormous area full of skyscrapers, business, banking, and commerce. But it isn’t just for the suit and tie set. El born area has a lot of attractions, such as the Opera House and Royal Botanic Garden.
The area is usually pretty pricey, however the location will probably be worth it. Its best dining is here now, much like the poshest hotels and chicest galleries. You will not find lots of cool shops, local flea markets, or vintage treasures, but you’ll have the excitement of massive-city living!
The best places to Remain in the Central Business District
- BUDGET: Base Sydney – There aren’t many budget options within this area of the city with regards to accommodation, so Base will probably be your very best choice. They’ve free Wi-Fi as well as an on-site bar, which makes it an excellent place to possess fun and meet people.
- MID-RANGE: Park Regis City Center – Having a rooftop pool and views overlooking the town, a great mid-range hotel offering value far above the pricetag. The place is ideal and enables you quick access to all the primary attractions within the city, and in addition they provide a free airport terminal shuttle too.
- LUXURY: Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park – This hotel overlooks Hyde Park and boasts an inside pool, rooftop health club, a totally free airport terminal shuttle, and amazing restaurants and room service. It’s the right spot to pamper yourself in the middle of the town.
Best Neighborhood #7: Paddington
If you are searching for any quiet destination in Sydney, Paddington is among my personal favorite neighborhoods. It’s between your CBD and also the beaches, to get anywhere pretty rapidly via bus. This eastern suburb is principally residential, with beautiful tree-lined roads and Victorian homes with cute balconies. You will find upscale restaurants, lively pubs, and esteemed galleries in addition to funky shops.
The region is renowned for the Saturday Paddington Markets in the Uniting Church. Centennial Park is a superb spot to relax outside. This isn’t the very best neighborhood if you’re searching for extensive nightlife and party options, though.
The best places to Remain in Paddington
- BUDGET: Arts Hotel – Budget options in this region are couple of and between, so Airbnb may be your very best choice. Should you’d should you prefer a hotel, try Arts Hotel. It’s located directly on Regent Street and also have a awesome garden, pool, and free bikes to make use of.
- MID-RANGE: Airbnb – There aren’t any great mid-range options in this region and so i’d try Airbnb for any middle-of-the-road option. Be sure that you book ahead of time because the best places disappear fast!
- LUXURY: Mrs Banks Hotel – This hotel is really situated in an old bank. It features a very chic vibe and also the rooms are smartly designed. There’s free Wi-Fi and breakfast incorporated too.
Best Neighborhood #8: Macho
Macho is really a suburb of Sydeny located just north from the city. It’s is known for its amazing beach, giant waves, surfing, and wild nightlife. The region includes a different vibe into it compared to central city it’s part of town that understands how to have fun. Lots of vacationers really miss that area of the city as it’s kind of taken care of. But don’t allow that to prevent you — it’s well worth the short ride to obtain here. Actually, it’s certainly one of my personal favorite regions of the town! You’ll also have some gorgeous seaside walking trails about this side from the harbor too.
The best places to Remain in Macho
- BUDGET: Macho Backpackers – Here’s your classic backpacker hostel, having a great social vibe and lively nightlife. Employees are super useful and fun and will help you make the most from your vacation. Don’t expect probably the most newly made hostel because there are many lengthy-term backpackers here and also the place could possibly get just a little untidy. What it lacks in cleanliness it supports for in cost and atmosphere!
- MID-RANGE: Novotel Sydney Macho Off-shore – Located right across from Macho Beach, this hotel is incorporated in the perfect place for individuals searching to balance taking in the sun rays around the beach with Macho’s wild nightlife. Your accommodation has a health club and rooftop pool, in addition to a nice bar and free breakfast (including certain rooms). You’ll acquire some great views here too!
- LUXURY: Designer Studios Macho – Once you arrive, you’ll spot the little touches which make this hotel stick out. Not just can there be free Wi-Fi, free parking, along with a free airport terminal shuttle however, you’ll be also gifted free wine and sparkling water on arrival. Employees can provide picnic blankets in situation you need to get out there and relax within the citys many parks or beaches (which It is best to do!).
Best Neighborhood #9: Nobleman Mix
Located North of Paddington and east from the downtown core, Nobleman Mix is yet another party district for just about any nightowls searching to possess fun. It’s wild and economical, and also you’ll find the best mixture of both backpackers and locals here. The famous World Bar is how the majority of the action happens (it’s the place to find cheap drinks along with a large party area). Should you’re not really a backpacker or otherwise searching to party, this most likely won’t be the spot where you wan’t to remain on your visit.
The best places to Remain in Nobleman Mix
- BUDGET: Hump Backpackers – This can be a social hostel in which the staff host lots of fun day to day activities that will help you meet people (like BBQs, beer pong, and pancake breakfasts). There is a free breakfast incorporated, all-day tea and coffee, along with a different activities every single night. Your bunk beds listed here are quite comfortable, the bathrooms and showers are stored clean, and lockers in every room are huge. The hostel is encircled by plenty of restaurants and shops, in addition to a couple of bars, so there’s a lot of things you can do in the region. Note: you need to be 18-35 years of age to remain here.
- MIDRANGE: Quest Potts Point – Boasting a rooftop terrace with views within the city, and discovered merely a 5 minute walk in the rambunctious nightlife of Nobleman Mix, Quest Potts Point is the best option for travelers wanting privacy and luxury while still searching to become next to the action. The majority of the rooms have kitchenettes, your bunk beds are very comfy, and also the staff will help you organize a variety of fun tours and day journeys!
- LUXURY: Larmont Sydney – The Larmont Sydney by Lancemore is situated just 2 minutes from Nobleman Mix station. Your accommodation offers all of the luxury you’ll need for an affordable cost. With the standards like free Wi-Fi, incredibly comfy beds, and amazing staff (employees here really exceed), this hotel is a superb option for anybody searching for any luxurious remain in an active part of the city.
While Sydney is a huge place, it isn’t overwhelming. You will be able to hit all of the highlights in a single trip. Obviously, this really is in no way a complete listing of accommodations – these are merely my top picks!
I like a number of of those areas, so perhaps you’ll wish to experience several neighborhoods — remain in town several nights, then proceed to Bondi Beach or Coogee to obtain a sense of the surf. In my experience, that’s the very best of all possible worlds.
But wherever you remain, I’m confident you’ll benefit from the city and also have an incredible amount of time in Australia!
Book Your Vacation to Australia: Logistical Tips and Methods
Book Your Flight
Look for a cheap flight by utilizing Skyscanner or Momondo. They’re my two favorite search engines like google simply because they search websites and airlines around the world which means you always know nothing remains unturned.
Book The Resort
You are able to book your hostel with Hostelworld. If you wish to stay elsewhere, use Booking.com because they consistently return the least expensive rates for guesthouses and economical hotels. I personally use them constantly. My personal favorite hostels in Sydney are:
- Hump Backpackers – This can be a social hostel with free breakfast, all-day tea and coffee, and various activities every evening. Your bunk beds are snug and soft, showers are stored clean, and also the room lockers are huge.
- Lord Wolseley – This hostel is on the upper floors of the historic bar and restaurant that has been available since 1881. Its location near Chinatown and Central Station causes it to be among the cheaper accommodations around. Darling Harbour is simply a five minute walk.
- Asylum Backpackers Hostel – Asylum is near to Nobleman Mix station, and it is only a 30-minute walk towards the Opera House and also the Botanic Gardens.The dorms are spacious and you will find common areas inside and outdoors and free breakfast every day.
Don’t Forget Travel Cover
Travel cover will safeguard you from illness, injuries, thievery, and cancellations. It’s comprehensive protection in situation anything goes completely wrong. Irrrve never use a trip without them when i’ve had for doing things many occasions previously. I’ve used World Nomads for 10 years. My personal favorite firms that provide the best service and cost are:
- World Nomads (for everybody below 70)
- Insure My Trip (for individuals over 70)
Searching to find the best companies to save cash with?
Take a look at my resource page to find the best companies to make use of whenever you travel! I list all of the ones I personally use to save cash after i travel – and i believe can help you too!
Want A lot of Australia?
Make sure to visit our robust destination guide on Australia for more planning tips!
Photo credit: Bernard Spragg. NZ, J Bar, Mynameisben123 , RubyGoes, Enochlau
The publish The Very Best Neighborhoods in Sydney: Places to stay in your Visit made an appearance first on Nomadic Matt's Travel Site.