Azerbaijan is among individuals emerging destinations that vacationers are finally beginning to uncover.
Until 1991, it had been area of the Ussr, and since it grew to become independent, travelers have more and more began to go to this lesser-known country. The amount of foreign visitors has nearly tripled within the last decade, to just about three million in 2018.
As the sightseeing locations may not be well-known, there are many items to do and see in Azerbaijan. The main city, Baku, has unique architecture, including plenty of Parisian-style structures in the 1800s. It’s also the place to find some very advanced constructions funded through the country’s oil wealth, like the three Flame Towers, that are covered in Brought screens that display dancing flames.
Outdoors of Baku, you can observe dirt volcanoes, visit 40,000-year-old rock works of art at Gobustan, or mind towards the hillsides to hike within the Caucasus Mountain tops.
But is Azerbaijan safe?
Overall, Azerbaijan is extremely safe. Because the country is ruled with a strongman who desires greatly to improve tourism towards the country, crimes against readers are virtually uncommon.
Because, if a person is caught committing a criminal offense against a tourist, the punishments is going to be quite severe. Most crimes are often small , involve benefiting from individuals crowded places, where perpetrators are less inclined to get caught.
With this stated, there’s a couple of thing to remember and a few locations to prevent. The following will make your experience of Azerbaijan safe and enjoyable.
8 Safety Strategies for Azerbaijan
1. Stay conscious of your possessions – Petty thievery and pickpocketing are rare because the federal government (that is a dictatorship) punishes thieves quite harshly. Nonetheless, petty thievery does happen every so often in busy outside markets in Azerbaijan, and also on the Baku metro along with other trains and buses. Become more conscious of your possessions when you are in crowded places out on another flaunt anything costly.
2. Consider drink-related scams – There has been some reports of travelers being conned after getting their drinks spiked, specifically in Western-style nightclubs and bars in Baku. Don’t take food or drink from other people or people you’ve just met, and try to keep close track of drinks you’ve purchased.
There’s also reports of scams targeting men at bars when women ask an overseas man to purchase her drinks. She winds up departing him having a high bar tab, and when he’s not able to pay for, several men would use physical pressure to insist.
3. Don’t insult the ruling Aliyev family – Obama of Azerbaijan, Ilham Aliyev, who required over from his father Heydar in 2003, and the family, should not be mocked or discussed badly.
He’s won five elections with around 80% from the election, but there’s lots of evidence he and the New Azerbaijan Party have the effect of prevalent corruption and too little democratic process, together with jailing those who have belittled the household or even the government. Be cautious and steer clear of speaking politics while you’re here.
4. Don’t go near or discuss Armenia – Steer clear of the border of Armenia and Azerbaijan, where sporadic armed clashes still occur. Particularly, don’t go close to the Nagorno-Karabakh region, that is a disputed area where armed conflict is typical. You will find land mines during these regions too, one other good need to steer obvious.
The safest factor just isn’t to say Armenia whatsoever. There’s a continuing, bitter conflict backward and forward nations, and Azerbaijanis could possibly get angry by trying to speak about Armenia.
If you are of Armenian descent — for instance, for those who have an Armenian surname — this may create problems for you personally in Azerbaijan so be ready.
5. Be cautious on the highway – Most of the roads in Azerbaijan are overweight, and motorists frequently speed. Additionally you need to take into consideration people by walking and animals in rural Azerbaijan.
If you’re able to cure it, don’t drive during the night — there’s usually little if any lighting on the highway and there are plenty of potholes and bumps that induce a poor accident should you can’t discover their whereabouts coming.
Around the plus side, the bloodstream alcohol limit here’s zero so there’s no tolerance for consuming and driving (and that means you’re less inclined to encounter drunk motorists here). If driving, make certain you follow this law towards the letter.
Road safety factors are likely likely to be your greatest concern here, so always gentle when driving or near busy roads.
6. Won’t pay bribes – There’s a significant culture of bribery and corruption in Azerbaijan, so you may end up in times where you’re requested to pay for a bribe. Even though it can seem to be difficult, it’s Alright to won’t pay, in most cases, that’ll be the finish from it.
Many Azerbaijanis are embarrassed through the extent of corruption and bribery and can do their finest to cover it from foreign vacationers. Regrettably, there’s a minority who’ll still demand bribes — often even officials.
7. Consider fake police – It’s a significant common scam to encounter crooks outfitted as police officials. Within their disguise, they’ll target people from other countries and then try to issue a fake traffic violation or demand you have to pay an excellent for photographing on the street.
If uncertain, keep these things get you to some police station. Hopefully, they’ll then accept make you alone.
8. Buy travel cover – Any time you travel, you need to make certain you possess an appropriate degree of travel cover. Who knows what could fail! Hopefully, there is little take place while you’re exploring Azerbaijan, but you will be really grateful you’ve travel cover if you’re involved with a vehicle accident, end up being the victim of thievery, or become ill and discover yourself in desperate situations situation.
We advise World Nomads for travelers under 70, while Insure My Trip is the greatest option for travelers over 70.
For additional info on tarvel insurance, take a look at these posts:
- Exactly What Does Travel Cover Really Cover?
- The 7 Best Travel Companies in 2019
- Buying the very best Travel Cover
FAQ on Azerbaijan Safety
That will help you plan your vacation, listed here are solutions towards the most faq’s we obtain about safety in Azerbaijan:
How safe is Baku for vacationers?
Because of earnings from gas and oil, Baku is really a modern capital with decent trains and buses and it is generally safe. There are several perils of petty thievery in crowds or bars, and vacationers could be a target of drink spiking along with other scams (see above) in Western-style bars and nightclubs. Be extra vigilant on an evening out.
Most likely the most harmful a part of finding yourself in Baku may be the traffic. Many Azerbaijanis drive extremely fast and with little regard for that rules from the road. If you are a pedestrian, be skeptical of vehicles when you are near a road and particularly when you are crossing. While in doubt, stick to the lead from the locals.
Could it be safe they are driving in Azerbaijan?
Driving in Baku can be tough: a great deal of traffic, fast motorists, and pedestrians who don’t pay much attention.
However, it’s most likely more harmful they are driving in rural areas, both due to the poor driving standards and also the low excellence of the highways. The street the weather is particularly bad outdoors the metropolitan areas, and driving during the night is particularly harmful, because the roads are poorly lit, or otherwise lit whatsoever.
Is Azerbaijan safe for ladies traveling on your own?
Generally, Azerbaijan is protected for those people traveling solo, however, many ladies have reported occurrences of undesirable male attention while walking alone and taking taxis. If heading out during the night, make certain you’ve anyone to accompany you simply safe.
Listed here are a couple of useful posts on safety compiled by our solo female travel experts:
- How you can Stay Safe like a Solo Female Traveler
- 8 Myths About Solo Female Travel Debunked
- 10 Common Questions Regarding Solo Female Travel
- Women Should Not Be Afraid to visit Alone
May be the consuming water safe in Azerbaijan?
The faucet water in Azerbaijan ought to be steamed before consuming to make certain that it’s free from contaminents. Boil water not less than one minute to make certain it’s clean.
While to keep your canned water here, I’d just getting a multiple-use water bottle along with a Lifestraw or SteriPen. They are able to purify your water whilst lowering your ecological impact.
In the contrasts of 19th-century architecture using the envelope-pushing modern structures of Baku towards the scenic vistas from the sparsely-populated villages and towns, you’ll find lots of items to do and see in Azerbaijan.
Be sure that you use good sense by staying away from speaking about sensitive topics (like the war with Armenia) when you’re speaking to locals. Be familiar with the opportunity of petty thievery and scams look out as well as your belongings from sight. Do this, and also you’ll be all right.
Overall, Azerbaijan is protected to go to and tourism figures are increasing for a simple reason. Spend time seeing Azerbaijan now, while it’s still not crowded with vacationers — you will not be sorry!
Book Your Vacation to Azerbaijan: Logistical Tips and Methods
Book Your Flight
Look for a cheap flight by utilizing Skyscanner or Momondo. They’re my two favorite search engines like google simply because they search websites and airlines around the world which means you always know nothing remains unturned.
Book The Resort
You are able to book your hostel with Hostelworld. If you wish to stay elsewhere, use Booking.com because they consistently return the least expensive rates for guesthouses and economical hotels. I personally use them constantly. My personal favorite accommodations in Azerbaijan are:
- Sahil Hostel (Baku) – This hostel is clean, spacious, and well-maintained. It won Hostelworld’s 2019 award for the best hostel within the city.
- Old Ganja Hostel (Ganja) – While thos hostel is rather no frills, employees listed here are incredible and exceed to make sure you enjoy yourself in Ganja.
- Lahij Guesthouse (Lahij) – With free Wi-Fi, great views, along with a charming and rustic interior, this hoestl is great for anybody searching for any more unique remain in Lahij.
Don’t Forget Travel Cover
Travel cover will safeguard you from illness, injuries, thievery, and cancellations. It’s comprehensive protection in situation anything goes completely wrong. Irrrve never use a trip without them when i’ve had for doing things many occasions previously. I’ve used World Nomads for 10 years. My personal favorite firms that provide the best service and cost are:
- World Nomads (for everybody below 70)
- Insure My Trip (for individuals over 70)
Searching to find the best companies to save cash with?
Take a look at my resource page to find the best companies to make use of whenever you travel! I list all of the ones I personally use to save cash after i travel – and i believe can help you too!gho
Want A lot of Azerbaijan?
Make sure to visit our robust destination guide on Azerbaijan for more planning tips!
Photo credit: 1 – Emerson Liu
The publish Is Azerbaijan Safe to go to? made an appearance first on Nomadic Matt's Travel Site.